Sunday, April 20, 2014

Why are there no girls on the grounds???

I know it is not very easy to confront issues that need a lot of thinking.... I also know that many people avoid discussions just because their brains are too lazy to do that exercise. But what I don't know so far and can not understand is why do people tend to avoid issues that are so blunt that they are literally staring in their faces?
Let me tell you about one such issue... This is one issue about which I have tried to discuss with many friends with very little response and that too with minuscule enthusiasm... And the issue is such that I really can't not look at it. I see a lot of photographs and videos like everybody does. Many on them have children playing on the ground. These videos are rural as well as urban. But there is one thing common in them. They only show 'boys' playing on the ground.



There are boys playing cricket.
There are boys flying kites.
There are boys swimming.
There are boys running just for the fun of it.
There are boys playing football.
There are boys doing N number of things...



But there are no girls.
I have hardly ever seen a photo or a video where there are girls playing freely on the ground. And in all the travel I have done so far, I have hardly ever seen adolescent girls playing on the ground just like that. And the least I can say is that the number of girls found playing on the ground against boys is pathetic.
My question is, why is it so? Why are there no girls on the ground? What or who is responsible for it?
Do the girls don't feel like playing? Is that really possible? Or is the social pressure so strong that the thought of playing doesn't even cross their minds? Is it fair that the girls never get a chance of being fit? Or of experiencing the joy of playing? Or of knowing how it feels to run so much that you are out of your breath?
How would these girls know there are more beautiful things in life that shiny clothes? How would they know there are more beautiful feelings than being useful? How would they ever have the deeper understanding of life?
And the most important question... Why doesn't anybody feel that this issue needs to be taken up?

No comments:

Post a Comment